6Members joined
2Ideastorm held
0Solutions identified
0Actions made
  • Hello,Is this something that you would home you could do at school or in your community?

I had a couple of questions that could help us understand a bit better how to give you feedback:

– Is this something that you hope to do at school or in your community?

– Have you thought about what kinds of activities you would like to organize?

We can point you to the right type of resources and give you ideas after knowing more about what you have initially in mind. I am sure other members of the community will also have some ideas. We look forward to supporting you in the process.

Hello,Is this something that you would home you could do at school or in your community?

I had a couple of questions that could help us understand a bit better how to give you feedback:

– Is this something that you hope to do at school or in your community?

– Have you thought about what kinds of activities you would like to organize?

We can point you to the right type of resources and give you ideas after knowing more about what you have initially in mind. I am sure other members of the community will also have some ideas. We look forward to supporting you in the process.

• I have a daughter who is transgender and I am currently homeschooling but am interested in creating an environment for all children who feel usafe at school. I’m wondering where to begin as well. I’d also like to be able to offer information about domestic violence as well as outside resources. I live in a very small and close minded community and the need for this is so great. Thanks for being here to brainstorm!

I have a daughter who is transgender and I am currently homeschooling but am interested in creating an environment for all children who feel usafe at school. I’m wondering where to begin as well. I’d also like to be able to offer information about domestic violence as well as outside resources. I live in a very small and close minded community and the need for this is so great. Thanks for being here to brainstorm!

• These are great questions, Mandymax & Bluemoon! We do a lot of work to create groups in schools where students can feel safe, accepted, and talk about issues that matter to them.

The first step is to find an adult at the school who can be a trusted ally and support the group. Often a school counselor will be willing to support such a group; if not, another trusted teacher might. Buy-in from school officials is critical. Once the group has been established, it’s nice for the adult to be hands-off and let the students drive the discussion/reflection. I also agree with Raul’s point that the group needs to have some defined activities (even if it is just discussion/reflection rather than something active) — it will be difficult for students initially to talk about not feeling safe and other touchy issues, and instead the first purpose of the group should be to build relationships so that the deeper conversations, reflections, and learning can occur.

If either of you would be interested in starting a peer anti-bullying group in your school, we match groups of students who want to fight bullying with a Peace Coach (a college student mentor) and train them to teach proven, research-based peace curricula to other kids in their community.

Please let me know if I can help you organize something or give more feedback!

These are great questions, Mandymax & Bluemoon! We do a lot of work to create groups in schools where students can feel safe, accepted, and talk about issues that matter to them.

The first step is to find an adult at the school who can be a trusted ally and support the group. Often a school counselor will be willing to support such a group; if not, another trusted teacher might. Buy-in from school officials is critical. Once the group has been established, it’s nice for the adult to be hands-off and let the students drive the discussion/reflection. I also agree with Raul’s point that the group needs to have some defined activities (even if it is just discussion/reflection rather than something active) — it will be difficult for students initially to talk about not feeling safe and other touchy issues, and instead the first purpose of the group should be to build relationships so that the deeper conversations, reflections, and learning can occur.

If either of you would be interested in starting a peer anti-bullying group in your school, we match groups of students who want to fight bullying with a Peace Coach (a college student mentor) and train them to teach proven, research-based peace curricula to other kids in their community.

Please let me know if I can help you organize something or give more feedback!

• Thanks @fishstarktpi – what would be the best way to get in touch for anyone interested in being matched with a mentor?

Thanks @fishstarktpi – what would be the best way to get in touch for anyone interested in being matched with a mentor?

• @Raul, do you mean a Peace First mentor or one at their school?

@Raul, do you mean a Peace First mentor or one at their school?

• @fishstarktpi – just thinking in case @bluemoon would like to be matched with a Peace Coach for the group they want to start in their school.

@fishstarktpi – just thinking in case @bluemoon would like to be matched with a Peace Coach for the group they want to start in their school.

• Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I want to start a safe group in my school where students feel comfortable and also have a chance to meet new people. I feel as though once the group is started and we all stand together as one, we will be able to make our school environment friendlier to everyone. As for activities I think if would be a good idea to keep journals of thoughts, feelings and life. We can than share what we are comfortable with, for they can offer their opinions and support. I also would like to read books/watch movies about serious injustices in life that they might be able to relate to. My goal is to make a safe place that makes it feel like we are not alone and to provide healthy and reliable resources in times of need.  I also hope this group will be able to teach students about self acceptance and individuality.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I want to start a safe group in my school where students feel comfortable and also have a chance to meet new people. I feel as though once the group is started and we all stand together as one, we will be able to make our school environment friendlier to everyone. As for activities I think if would be a good idea to keep journals of thoughts, feelings and life. We can than share what we are comfortable with, for they can offer their opinions and support. I also would like to read books/watch movies about serious injustices in life that they might be able to relate to. My goal is to make a safe place that makes it feel like we are not alone and to provide healthy and reliable resources in times of need.  I also hope this group will be able to teach students about self acceptance and individuality.

• They all sound like great ideas to get started. Do you already have any other young people in your school that you think might be interested in getting started with you? Have you had a chat with the school administration to see if they can provide you with some support too or would you prefer to do it as a more informal activity?

They all sound like great ideas to get started. Do you already have any other young people in your school that you think might be interested in getting started with you? Have you had a chat with the school administration to see if they can provide you with some support too or would you prefer to do it as a more informal activity?

• Hello!

I wanted to check in to see how you’re going with this idea? Have you made any progress since we last were in touch?

I also hope you have a great festive season!

Raul and the Peace First Team

Hello!

I wanted to check in to see how you’re going with this idea? Have you made any progress since we last were in touch?

I also hope you have a great festive season!

Raul and the Peace First Team

You need to login or create an account to contribute to this discussion.